Thursday, August 2, 2007

iWoz


iWoz is the autobiography of Steve Wozniak. Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs founded Apple and helped in the spread of computers from Labs and Large Corporates to small and medium businesses and even to the households.


I will suggest it a must read for each and every engineer. Steve has narrated his engineering projects intoto which covers a sizable portion of the book. So I think it may be some what boring for people without a love for technologies and engineering. But the language used is pretty simple.


He has expressed his passions, views and work in a very lucid manner in his autobiography. Some of the pieces I have put below for the readers to go through.
[Engineering] ...Engineering was the highest level of importance you could reach in the world... . He[Father of Steve] told me that as an engineer, you can change the world and change the way of life for lots and lots of people.
[Usability]We are taught to add and subtract at school, but nobody teaches you tic-tac-toe. It is not that important. Adding numbers could put a man on moon, tic-tac-toe could not.
[Patience]Throught out my career at Apple and other places, you always find a lot of geeks who try to reach levels without doing the in-between ones first, and it won't work. It never does.
[Algorithm]That made me realize that a million times a second[speed of computer] did not solve everything. Raw speed is not always the solution. Many understandable problems need an insightful, well-thought-out approach to succeed. The approach a program uses to solve something, the rule and steps and procedures it follows, by the way, is called an algorithm.
[Company] I still think that way. My thinking is that a company is like a family, a community, where we all take care of each other. I never agreed with the normal thinking, where a company is mere competition driven and the poorest, youngest or the most recent hired workers are the first to go.
[Developing Apple I computer] To actually construct the computer, I gathered my parts together. I did this construction work in my cubicle at HP. On a typical day, I would go home after work and eat a TV dinner or make spaghetti and then drive the 5 minutes back to work where I would like to sign in again and work late into the night. I liked to work on this project at HP. I guess because, it was an engineering kind of environment. And when it came time to test or solder, all the equipment was there.
[Apple] we[Steve Jobs and He] wanted Apple to have this amazing employee morale we think HP got as a result of treating its engineers like the upper class citizens.
[Engineers] Most inventors and engineers I have met are like me, they are shy and they live in their heads. They are almost like artists. In fact the very best of them are artists.
Engineers often strive to do thigs more perfectly than even they think is possible. Every tiny part or line of code has to have a reason, and the approach has to be direct, short and fast.

No comments: